Online Worship Service Sunday June 14 2020 At Epworth United Methodist Church Palmyra, NJ
Greeting & Announcements
Call to Worship
We come this morning with joy, to worship God. We do not come to justify ourselves. For you, O God, do not judge us by our righteousness, but you accept us as we are, out of your great love. We come with joy to worship you. We come with grateful hearts to worship you.
Hymn Be Thou My Vision
Opening Prayer Debbie Cheeseman
Dear Lord, as we look toward our future we are filled with bright hope. You have spoken to us Lord and said that You know the plans You have for us, and we rest in that promise because we know You have made those plans with care. Holy Spirit, we ask that You lead us and guide us. Help us to run and obey at Your command and help us to be still and know you are God and are there when trouble is at hand. Your Word is a lamp to us, a light to guide our way; a solid place we can rest upon and a guide to us when we stray. Help us to live our lives to praise You, not for fortune or fame for ourselves. We ask Your help that in everything we say or do will bring You glory. We pray that our eyes will stay fixed on You as we seek the way that is pure, abiding in You always. Dear Lord, show us your favor and at all times keep us blessed. May your face ever shine upon us with Your peace and perfect rest. Amen
4 If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless. 7 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ-the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. 10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
Special Music “You Say” Sandy Grimes, Vincent Verrico, Diane Soper
19 Now this was John’s testimony when the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was. 20 He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, “I am not the Messiah.” 21 They asked him, “Then who are you? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” He answered, “No.” 22 Finally they said, “Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?” 23 John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, “I am the voice of one calling in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord.’” 24 Now the Pharisees who had been sent 25 questioned him, “Why then do you baptize if you are not the Messiah, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?” 26 “I baptize with water,” John replied, “but among you stands one you do not know. 27 He is the one who comes after me, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie.” 28 This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptizing. 29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel.” 32 Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. 33 And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 I have seen and I testify that this is God’s Chosen One.”
Message Who Are You?
Prayers & Lord’s Prayer Please share concerns in the comment area
Hymn Who Am I?
- Sunday 10am Worship Online.
- Monday 7pm Ad Council Meeting Using ZOOM live video. Link and numbers included in an email.
Saturday June 27 10am – Noon Food Pantry. Please help get the word out to neighbors and friends who may need help! We have plenty of food to be passed out in a grab-n-go!
If you have an idea of how we can connect or do something to improve what we are doing please get in touch with me. Together we can be strong in faith, support of one another and make a difference in our community in the name of Jesus.
- June’s Communion will benefit our Children and Youth Ministry.
- Congratulations to our Graduates: Amanda Bakley, Emma Blosfelds, Grace Garemore
Prayers for the Family of God
- SHUT INS: Florence Wallin, & Nancy Thomas. And everyone else!!
- ONGOING PRAYERS: (members) Ginny Price, Kathy Bohley, Donna Undercuffler, Richard Taylor, the Lipay family, Neil Sellars, Mary Lou Hulton, Ann Magonigal, Ella Kennedy, Robert Scheffler, Jo Malessa, Mary Griscom, Bob Pry, Jim Weston.
- ONGOING PRAYERS: (friends & relatives): Shirley Lee & Rick (Ginny Price’s aunt & brother), Denise, Gale Bataille, Ryan, Nicki Bibbo, H.I., David O’Brien, & Matthew (Jo Malessa’s relatives), Don Rinck (The Rinck’s son), Beverly (Tina Weiler’s aunt), Karl (Bonnie Neamand’s brother-in-law), Stephanie & Cody (Fay Bassett’s children), Theodore Lehmann (Carol Fenton’s relative), Maryann (Mary Jo Guidry’s friend), Carmen (Becky Bohley’s friend), Harold Schmul, Christine Giebel (Carol Fenton’s granddaugher), Laura Klaus (Cliff Mason’s sister), Ellen Rambow (Pat Rambow’s daughter-in-law), Bill Conley (the Cook’s son-in-law), Jason (Letha McClellan’s friend), Myles (Tim Weiler’s friend), Alexis Ciccanti (Pat Rambow’s granddaughter), Carol (Don Bird’s mother), Robert (Ann Wright’s son), Michelle Huang (the Hancock’s relative), Richard Williams (Devon’s husband), Donna (Audrey Worthy’s sister), Thomas (Julie Scheffler’s grandson, Joyce Brown (Beth Pelkey’s mom), Harry (Tim Weiler’s dad), John Doll.
Please contact me with your prayer requests and concerns by calling me at home or sending an email – I am trying to limit prayer request emails to a couple of times per week. During our worship service you can use “comment” to share your prayer requests with others.
Be Smart! Be Safe!
Your Support is Needed
Even as we distance ourselves, our ministry continues. Please continue to make your contributions to Epworth online or simply mail them in. At this time it is important to adjust your giving to completely go to the general fund. Maybe you could contribute what you might have spent on flowers. This will help us continue to meet our financial obligations during this difficult time.