Watch Worship Live Sunday August 2 2020 At Epworth United Methodist Church Palmyra, NJ
Greeting & Announcements
Call to Worship
Leader: Let us test and examine our ways, and return to the Lord!
People: Let us lift up our hearts to God.
Leader: With what shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before God on high?
People: He has showed you what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God.
Hymn O Worship the King
From deep within us we know of a loving presence. All around us we see glory, beauty, life and light. We have no words for what we experience so we cry out, “God!”. In this moment of worship may that loving presence grow deeper, may our awareness of the divine presence around us grow more intense. May we, gathered together, learn to pay more attention to God, who loves us at all times and in all places.
1 The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.” 3 But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord. 4 Then the Lord sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up. 5 All the sailors were afraid and each cried out to his own god. And they threw the cargo into the sea to lighten the ship. But Jonah had gone below deck, where he lay down and fell into a deep sleep. 6 The captain went to him and said, “How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god! Maybe he will take notice of us so that we will not perish.”
Joy — Amy Chaplin & Diane Soper
Message A Whale of a Tale
Prayers & Lord’s Prayer Please share concerns in the comment area
Prayer of Confession
Holy One, what a blessing and privilege we share as we gather in worship as a loving community. But, like Jonah, we sometimes are jealous of what we share here. We know that others are longing and thirsting for what we know and experience. Forgive us our reluctance to open our hearts to others; some like us, some not. We repent of our hesitations and unwillingness to witness to those we have considered strangers and even enemies for fear they just might become friends. Amen.
Invitation to Communion
Hymn Amazing Grace
- Sunday 10am Worship Online.
- Monday 7pm Trustees Meeting Using ZOOM live video. Link and numbers included will be sent by email.
- Tuesday 7:30pm SPR Meeting Using ZOOM live video or call in. Link and numbers included will be sent by email..
- Wednesday 7pm Nominations Meeting Using ZOOM live video or call in. Link and numbers included in an email.
- Thursday 7pm Men’s Group Using ZOOM live video or call in. Link and numbers included in an email.
- Saturday August 8 10am – Noon FOOD PANTRY. Please help get the word out to neighbors and friends who may need help! We have plenty of food to be passed out in a grab-n-go!
If you have an idea of how we can connect or do something to improve what we are doing please get in touch with me. Together we can be strong in faith, support of one another and make a difference in our community in the name of Jesus.
August’s Communion will benefit UMCOR.
Liturgist: Cliff Mason
Diane Soper & Sandy Grimes — Music
Prayers for the Family of God
- SHUT INS: Florence Wallin & Nancy Thomas. And everyone else!
- ONGOING PRAYERS: (members) Ginny Price, Kathy Bohley, Donna Undercuffler, Richard Taylor, the Lipay family, Neil Sellars, Mary Lou & Nat Hulton, Ann Magonigal, Ella Kennedy, Robert Scheffler, Jo Malessa, Mary Griscom, Bob Pry, Jim Weston, Eva Schultz, Renae Warren, Barbara Bietz.
- ONGOING PRAYERS: (friends & relatives): Shirley Lee & Rick (Ginny Price’s aunt & brother), Denise, Gale Bataille, Ryan, Nicki Bibbo, H.I., David O’Brien, & Matthew (Jo Malessa’s relatives), Don Rinck (The Rinck’s son), Karl (Bonnie Neamand’s brother-in-law), Stephanie & Cody (Fay Bassett’s children), Theodore Lehmann (Carol Fenton’s relative), Maryann (Mary Jo Guidry’s friend), Carmen (Becky Bohley’s friend), Harold Schmul, Christine Giebel (Carol Fenton’s granddaugher), Laura Klaus (Cliff Mason’s sister), Ellen Rambow (Pat Rambow’s daughter-in-law), Bill Conley (the Cook’s son-in-law), Jason (Letha McClellan’s friend), Myles (Tim Weiler’s friend), Alexis Ciccanti (Pat Rambow’s granddaughter), Carol (Don Bird’s mother), Robert (Ann Wright’s son), Michelle Huang (the Hancock’s relative), Richard Williams (Devon’s husband), Thomas (Julie Scheffler’s grandson), Joyce Brown (Beth Pelkey’s mom), Harry (Tim Weiler’s dad), John Doll, Frank (Ursula Weed’s father).
- Please contact me with your prayer requests and concerns by calling me at home or sending an email – I am trying to limit prayer request emails to a couple of times per week. During our worship service you can use “comment” to share your prayer requests with others.
- Be Smart! Be Safe!
Your Support is Needed
Even as we distance ourselves, our ministry continues. Please continue to make your contributions to Epworth online or simply mail them in. At this time it is important to adjust your giving to completely go to the general fund. Maybe you could contribute what you might have spent on flowers. This will help us continue to meet our financial obligations during this difficult time.