Watch Worship Live Sunday July 26 2020 At Epworth United Methodist Church Palmyra, NJ
Greeting & Announcements
Call to Worship Lynn Truax
Do not walk in darkness, but live in the light. Don’t stumble around in ignorance, but walk straight in the wisdom of God. May the light of God penetrate this holy place. Give us light to see the path of God has set before us and go forward unafraid.
Hymn Morning Has Broken
Opening Prayer Lynn Truax
Generous God, almost every day we wrestle with overwhelming choices – Caesar or God, life or death, love or hate, possessions or freedom. Often we choose wisely, but then there are those other times. Our wants get confused with our needs. Our ‘must haves’ overshadow our satisfaction with ourselves, our loved ones, even with life itself. Give to us the vision and wisdom to see your way clearly. Then empower us with your grace and courage, that we might take the higher path. In all things keep us faithful to your gift of love – for you, for our neighbors, and for ourselves. In Christ’s name we pray. Amen.
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic,[a] let him have your cloak as well. 41 And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.
Love Your Enemies
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
Here I Am to Worship — Amy Chaplin & Diane Soper
They’ll know we are christians
9 Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. 11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit,[a] serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly.[b] Never be wise in your own sight. 17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it[c] to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 20 To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Message Is This Even Possible?
Prayers & Lord’s Prayer Please share concerns in the comment area
Hymn They’ll Know We Are Christians
- Sunday 10am Worship Online.
- Monday 10am Check In Using ZOOM live video.
Link included in an email sent Sunday afternoon. Follow on screen prompts. No need to download app. You can use any device with a webcam – tablet, PC, Laptop or smartphone. A great way to be in touch with one another.
- Wednesday 7pm Discussion Using ZOOM live video. Link included in email. Together with John Doll we will look have a time of checking in and devotion.
- Thursday 7pm Men’s Group Using ZOOM live video. Link will be sent out. We are using Tony Dungy’s Bible Study Uncommon. Email Pastor Charlie if you want to join in.
- Saturday August 8 10am – Noon FOOD PANTRY Please help get the word out to neighbors & friends who may need help! We have plenty of food to be passed out in a grab-n-go!
If you have an idea of how we can connect or do something to improve what we are doing please get in touch with me. Together we can be strong in faith, support of one another and make a difference in our community in the name of Jesus.
AT HOME VBS Coming this August, we’ll be using a quarantine-friendly VBS called BOLT. With minimal preparation, easy-to-follow instructions, and a video that leads you and your kids step-by-step through each of the 3 days, BOLT is designed for you to perform with your family at home. It’s so simple!Register Online to register. Share the news with others.
- SHUT INS: Florence Wallin, & Nancy Thomas. And everyone else!
- ONGOING PRAYERS: (members) Ginny Price, Kathy Bohley, Donna Undercuffler, Richard Taylor, the Lipay family, Neil Sellars, Mary Lou & Nat Hulton, Ann Magonigal, Ella Kennedy, Robert Scheffler, Jo Malessa, Mary Griscom, Bob Pry, Jim Weston, Jean Cook, Eva Schultz.
- ONGOING PRAYERS: (friends & relatives): Shirley Lee & Rick (Ginny Price’s aunt & brother), Denise, Gale Bataille, Ryan, Nicki Bibbo, H.I., David O’Brien, & Matthew (Jo Malessa’s relatives), Don Rinck (The Rinck’s son), Beverly (Tina Weiler’s aunt), Karl (Bonnie Neamand’s brother-in-law), Stephanie & Cody (Fay Bassett’s children), Theodore Lehmann (Carol Fenton’s relative), Maryann (Mary Jo Guidry’s friend), Carmen (Becky Bohley’s friend), Harold Schmul, Christine Giebel (Carol Fenton’s granddaugher), Laura Klaus (Cliff Mason’s sister), Ellen Rambow (Pat Rambow’s daughter-in-law), Bill Conley (the Cook’s son-in-law), Jason (Letha McClellan’s friend), Myles (Tim Weiler’s friend), Alexis Ciccanti (Pat Rambow’s granddaughter), Carol (Don Bird’s mother), Robert (Ann Wright’s son), Michelle Huang (the Hancock’s relative), Richard Williams (Devon’s husband), Donna (Audrey Worthy’s sister), Thomas (Julie Scheffler’s grandson, Joyce Brown (Beth Pelkey’s mom), Harry (Tim Weiler’s dad), Frank (Ursula Weed’s father).
- Prayers for each of us as we live in the midst of these troubled times. We pray for health, comfort, peace and courage.
- Please contact me with your prayer requests and concerns by calling me at home or sending an email – I am trying to limit prayer request emails to a couple of times per week. During our worship service you can use “comment” to share your prayer requests with others.
- Be Smart! Be Safe!
Your Support is Needed
Even as we distance ourselves, our ministry continues. Please continue to make your contributions to Epworth online or simply mail them in. At this time it is important to adjust your giving to completely go to the general fund. Maybe you could contribute what you might have spent on flowers. This will help us continue to meet our financial obligations during this difficult time.